Office Assistant Float
Company: MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center
Posted on: November 22, 2021
- Job Summary
- The Office Assistant will perform a variety of assigned
clerical and patient care duties essential to the daily operations
of the assigned department. These duties may vary by department
and/or site and may include: patient registration, patient
scheduling, coordinating the physician order re-certification
process, insurance verification and coordination of services for
patients, charge entry and reconciliation functions, co-payment and
daily cash receipt responsibilities, assisting with medical record
operations on a daily basis, greeting, registering and escorting
patients, completing patient set-ups, turning over patient rooms
and ensuring that the exam room is properly cleaned and prepped,
performing other patient care duties determined by the therapist or
physician, editing and distributing clinical dictations, order and
maintain clinical and administrative supplies, creates patient
registration packets for patients and/or billing department, and
providing front office and/call center coverage and
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School diploma or G.E.D. required; Associate's Degree
(A.A.) or a Bachelor's Degree from a college or university in
healthcare or related field preferred.
- 3 months of related experience/and or training in a fast paced
medical office setting for Therapy/Ambulatory offices;1 year
experience in a medical office required or a combination of
experience and education will be accepted for Outpatient Physician
Centers. Experience working in a role involving customer service
- No special certification, registration or licensure
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must have excellent customer service, as well as excellent
verbal and written communication skills. Has a basic knowledge of
Microsoft office products including Word, Excel and Outlook. Must
be a highly organized, process oriented individual who has the
ability to multi-task, be flexible and be a self-starter. Has the
ability to follow instructions and assist visitors and/or patients
without compromising safety, service, care or efficiency. Friendly
and professional when interacting with patients and visitors at all
times. Serves as the initial face and the initial voice of the
clinic and must project a positive and professional image at all
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals
and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures,
quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental
and accreditation regulations.
- Promptly answers assigned extensions using the correct
salutation and follows script and completes patient reminder calls
processes and procedures as assigned.
- Greets and assists patients on the telephone and in person by
triaging patient inquiries and concerns to appropriate clinical and
non-clinical team members.
- Completes the preliminary intake efficiently, accurately and
completely; performs patient updates, scanning, registration,
patient scheduling of initial and follow-up appointments based on
insurance guidelines, and messaging in the department's practice
management (PM) system and/or electronic health record (EHR).
- Performs insurance verification and coordinates
services/authorizations for patients, as assigned.
- Completes and/or ensures accurate collection of copayments and
copayment reconciliation, charge entry reconciliation, preparation
of bank deposits and cash receipt logs, as assigned.
- Demonstrates proficiency with the billing portion of the PM
system to include: guarantor information, benefit information,
insurance information, insurance priority, episode of care
information, open HMO referrals, alternate insurances and system
notes (if applicable).
- Assembles financial paperwork and medical record paperwork for
physicians and/or clinical team; assists patients with completing
of required office forms, reviews all patient information for
accurateness and completeness and witnesses all financial forms as
required. Communicates duplicate or multiple medical record
accounts to appropriate medical records personnel for merging.
- In the Physician Centers: Registers and schedules patients for
a variety of different physician specialty clinics as well as
modifying physician schedules upon request. Works closely with
Patient Insurance Specialists, secretaries and nurses to coordinate
and schedule procedures and clinics.
- Requests and obtains referrals, medical records or diagnostic
reports from internal and external providers, as assigned.
- Monitors and handles case management for patients in the EHR
system, as assigned.
- Maintains waiting area in clean and neat condition, restocking
materials as needed.
- Monitors administrative supplies and keeps administrative
supplies at par levels.
- Responds to all payer-specific questions from patients and
clinical providers, as appropriate.
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the
department and hospital in community outreach efforts. Participates
in multi-disciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Performs other duties as assigned. About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care
for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while
advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation
and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians
work in a variety of settings across our health system, including
10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the
largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly
respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the
medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for
more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the
next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education
and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health
offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center, Olney , Office Assistant Float, Administration, Clerical , Olney, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!