Pharmacy Technician - Olney, MD
Company: MEDSTAR HEALTH
Posted on: November 16, 2021
- Job Summary
- Under the direct supervision of a registered pharmacist assists
the pharmacists with filling medication and IV orders and
delivering them to the appropriate area of the hospital.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 1 year experience preferably in a hospital
- Maryland Pharmacy Technician License required.
- CPhT Certification required within 6 months of hire (except for
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with all internal and
- Moderate Computer skills to perform prescription entries.
- Ability to read and comprehend drug nomenclature and related
- HIPAA policies on Confidentiality
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparation: Assists with the filling of prescriptions, under
the direct supervision of a registered pharmacist.
- Accurately fills the orders as entered into the computer by the
- Accurately and clearly labels all medications for dispensing
(lot, expiration date, mg/tablet, etc.)
- Accurately fills prescriptions for frozen IV bags, mini-bag
plus, and pre-mixed large volume parenteral solutions.
- Files written physician orders.
- Assembles Cataract eye kit according to departmental policies
- Prepares unit dosing and bar-coding of bulk medications
according to departmental policies and procedures.
- Mixes IV additives to solutions, TPN's and Chemotherapy as
- Transports: Delivers prescriptions to the appropriate area of
- Delivers prescriptions to the appropriate area of the
- Delivers narcotics to nursing units
- Restock: Restocks and orders pharmaceutical supplies within the
- Restocks SureMed/Omnicell machines; delivers 24-hour medication
- Orders appropriate IV supplies
- Restocks the shelves upon delivery of Baxter IV fluids and
teamfills unit dose drawers.
- Accurately fills floor stock requisitions for other hospital
- Technical: Supports work of the department by performing
clerical and secretarial tasks.
- Accurately enters medication charges into the computer
- Completes computer "updates"
- Answer and direct all phone calls appropriately
- Development: Maintains current knowledge, certification, and
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to
address these education needs.
- Attends staff meetings or reads and signs staff meeting
- Attends continuing education programs in order to maintain
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and
licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (License, PPD,
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between
- Participates on inter-departmental teams and committees,
communicating unit knowledge as appropriate.
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge
acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams and
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions
with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the
- Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties
- Pitches in to cover shortages within department.
- Fills 24-hour exchange carts. Fills updates.
- Orders needed IV supplies and puts order away. Puts daily order
- Completes floor stock inspections.
- Completes admissions, transfers and discharges. About MedStar
Health MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality
care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while
advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation
and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians
work in a variety of settings across our health system, including
10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the
largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly
respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the
medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for
more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the
next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education
and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health
offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MEDSTAR HEALTH, Olney , Pharmacy Technician - Olney, MD, Healthcare , Olney, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!