Hiring Now! Registered Nurse - Operating Room
Company: MEDSTAR HEALTH
Posted on: May 6, 2022
- A professional care provider who assumes responsibility and
accountability for a group of patients, providing care through the
continued utilization of the nursing process in collaboration with
other health care team members. Minimum Qualifications
- Graduate of accredited School of Nursing
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing, Required
- AND will be considered for hard to fill positions with the
requirement to obtain a BSN within a specific time frame.
- 1-2 year in Hospital setting preferred
- Maryland Nursing License
- CPR (BLS) Certification
- Prefer certification in nursing specialty
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
- Basic Computer skills to perform Data entry
- Computerized clinical information systems: Clinicians View,
Chart View, MAK preferred
- HIPAA policies on Confidentiality Primary Duties and
- Assessment: Collects data in an ongoing and systematic manner,
focusing on the biophysical, psycho social, cognitive, self-care,
educational, environmental and discharge planning needs of the
- Assesses the patient's health care needs on a systematic and
continuous basis according to established time frames.
- Identifies the biophysical, psycho-social, cultural, self-care,
teaching, and continuing care needs of the patient as appropriate
to patient age and diagnoses.
- Collects data in an ongoing and systematic manner as outlined
by departmental protocol.
- Places the emphasis of assessment on the physiologic,
psychological and cognitive status of the patient.
- Reports any abnormal assessments in a timely manner to
- Delegates duties and tasks to others after assessment of
patient needs and capabilities, and determines the scope of
responsibilities with awareness of staff members performance
- Supervises members of assigned team via regular rounds and
verbal interaction to validate work load, patient status and
- Planning: Formulates a goal-directed plan of care, which is
prioritized and based on identified patient care needs.
- Uses department/unit process standards as specified for
planning/delivering patient care; individualizes these, holds self
and co-workers accountable to them. Documents and evaluates care
- Formulates a goal directed plan of care based on
- Establishes priorities of patient care on the basis of
essential patient needs and available unit resources of time,
personnel, equipment and supplies.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient at all items.
- Demonstrates understanding of Advanced Directives.
- Participates in departmental/unit nursing performance
improvement process; quality standards development, data
collection, trending, revisions and education of staff.
- Initiates discharge planning with initial assessment.
- Utilizes effective communication skills to establish positive
working relationship with all health team members, patients, and
- Implementation: Initiates plan of care based on established
priorities, essential needs and available resources.
- Initiates plan of care based on established priorities
essential needs and available resources.
- Explains plan of care to patient and significant others
utilizing ancillary resources when needed.
- Demonstrates ability to respond quickly to patient changes and
- Implements care in a knowledgeable, skillful, consistent,
timely and continuous manner.
- Intervenes on patient's behalf utilizing appropriate
- Supports department/unit by providing coverage for nursing
shortages and increased patient census.
- Identifies/assesses an unstable or emergency condition and
initiates appropriate action.
- Practices effective problem identification and resolution
- Demonstrates appropriate delegation and coordination of tasks
- Administers medications accurately and in accordance with the
Five Rights of Medication Administration.
- Transcribes orders correctly.
- Performs treatments and procedures according to MGH
- Assures documentation is accurate, concise and follows
- Demonstrates responsibility for Patient/Family education.
- Evaluation: Assesses the effectiveness of intervention and
revises the plan of care as needed.
- Evaluates effectiveness of patient interventions on an ongoing
- Rounds on patients routinely to identify and assess needs.
- Reviews specific patient care situations for effectiveness of
departmental team interventions.
- Demonstrates competence required in evaluation skills.
- Development: Maintains current knowledge, certification, and
- Practices within legal boundaries of nurse practice act and
according to hospital policy and procedures.
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to
address these education needs.
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the
- Updates clinical skills as required by department/unit policy
and patient needs.
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and
licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (CPR, License,
PPD, NIH Stroke Scale, Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.)
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between
- Participates on inter-departmental teams, committees, councils
and communicates department/unit knowledge as appropriate.
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge
acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams,
committees and councils.
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions
with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the
- Displays professionalism in interactions with patients,
families, staff and physicians/midlevel providers.
- Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties
- Operating Room:
- Knowledge of critical care including EKG.
- Assists with in room preoperative and intra-operative
preparation of patients, and assists with set up of the surgical
suite before, during and after a surgical procedure.
- Ability to circulate a procedure.
- Follows appropriate hand washing and sterilization techniques
at all times.
- Assists in preparing equipment and surgical table for
- Moves patient from stretcher to surgical table and back with
- Prepares and helps with patient positioning.
- Assists with the cleaning and sterilization of Operating Room
for case turnover.
- Helps pull case carts for the following day and returns all
sterile equipment to its appropriate location. About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care
for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while
advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation
and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians
work in a variety of settings across our health system, including
10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the
largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly
respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the
medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for
more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the
next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education
and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health
offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MEDSTAR HEALTH, Olney , Hiring Now! Registered Nurse - Operating Room, Healthcare , Olney, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!