Hiring Now! RN Charge Nurse
Company: MEDSTAR HEALTH
Posted on: May 13, 2022
- Under the direction of the Director of Nursing and/ or Unit
Manager, the Charge Nurse is responsible for the effective
day-to-day implementation of the vision, mission, values, nursing
philosophy, model of care, goals, policies, and procedures, keeping
the patient first in all decision making. The Charge Nurse is
responsible for oversight and patient outcomes during an assigned
shift. The Charge Nurse has responsibility for active participation
in at least one unit based or hospital wide committee or project.
The Charge Nurse has responsibility for management activities,
these may include: staffing, scheduling, timekeeping, quality and
safety, regulatory requirements, education, competencies, equipment
and supplies. The distribution of assignments will be made in
collaboration with unit management.
- The Charge Nurse has been identified as an expert level
registered nurse and is accountable for the practice of nursing as
identified in the Registered Nurse job description. Minimum
- Graduate of an accredited school of Nursing, Bachelors Degree
in Nursing strongly preferred.
- Two (2) years nursing experience, in an acute hospital
- With one year nursing experience, in a unit with similar
- Relief charge nurse experience
- Maryland Nursing License
- CPR (BLS) Certification
- Nursing specialty certification(s) are required within 2 years
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
- Basic Computer skills to perform data entry.
- Computerized clinical information systems: Clinicians View,
ChartView, MAK, CareWare SoftMed, Kronos.
- HIPAA policies on Confidentiality. Primary Duties and
- Supervision and Support: Assists the Unit Manager in the
planning, organizing and administration of designated area of
- Works with scheduling coordinators and assumes responsibility
of selected shift staff and assesses staffing patterns, makes
recommendations for staffing and recommends changes.
- Makes staff assignments based on acuity of patients and patient
needs along with the nursing skill level of staff. Is responsible
for reassessing efficiency of staff assignments throughout assigned
shift and provides and reallocates resources as needed.
- Ensures safe and informed transition for patients and staff
during any hand-off of patient care, including change of shift.
Oversight for practice of effective shift to shift bedside hand-off
or care, huddles and rounds
- Rounds on patients each shift and staff members at least twice
- Serves as a patient and staff advocate and appropriately
applies knowledge and evidence to decision making appropriately
- Facilitates case management and throughput of patients. Works
collaboratively with interdisciplinary care team
- Oversees unit work, implementing multiple solutions to achieve
optimal outcomes. Responds appropriately in emergency
- Monitors the quality of all documentation.
- Monitors the effective and efficient use of supplies.
- Collaborates with staff members to facilitate meetings and
other hospital activities attendance by all staff members and
- Should expect to accept direct patient assignment in times of
high census or staffing shortages.
- Identifies opportunities for growth or learning in staff and
assists in the development of an action plan for staff
- Coaches employees on a daily basis through reward, recognition
and application of policy and procedure.
- Actively participates in nursing leadership activities,
including unit staff and council meetings, division meetings and
projects. Proactively asks for assistance when needed.
- Displays professionalism in all interactions with patients,
families, staff and physicians.
- Holds Self and co-workers accountable for all actions and
inactions practicing "Just Culture".
- Ensures staff practices within legal boundaries of nurse
practice act and according to hospital policy and procedures.
- Identifies learning needs for staff members, offers supports
staff in their continued education needs. Initiates actions to
address these educational needs.
- Ensures staff members attend hospital sponsored training
programs as required by the department.
- Monitors staff member's compliance with all mandatory
requirements, credentials, certifications, and licensure within
allotted timeframe for completion (BLS, License, PPD, Competencies,
- Assessment: Collects data in an ongoing and systematic manner.
- Delegates duties and tasks to others after assessment of
competency and determines the scope of responsibilities in line
with staff members performance standards.
- Consistently demonstrates accountability to delegate
responsibilities and patient care.
- Supervises members of assigned team via regular rounds and
verbal interaction to validate work load, patient status and
- Assists members of the healthcare in assessing patient needs
and facilitates the implementation of needed services (PT, RT,
Medical staff, etc)
- Planning: Collaborates, develops, and communicates a
goal-directed of care.
- Facilitates and collaborates with assigned staff to coordinate
a plan of care and each patient.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient and co-workers at all
- Demonstrates understanding of Advanced Directives and advocates
for patient's rights.
- Participates in unit and departmental nursing quality
improvement process, standards development and revision.
- Initiates discharge planning with initial assessment.
- Utilizes effective communication skills to establish positive
working relationship with all health team members, patients, and
- Consistently demonstrates and follows the established nursing
protocols and policies as respect to individualized Patient Care
- Implementation: Initiates plan of care based on established
priorities, essential needs and available resources.
- Demonstrates ability to respond quickly to changes.
- Intervenes on patient's behalf utilizing appropriate
- Early identification or assessment of patient with the primary
nurse and assists in implementing an action plan prior to an
unstable or emergency condition. Initiates appropriate action if an
emergency should occur. Utilizes effective problem identification
and resolution skills.
- Demonstrates appropriate oversight of practice of staff member
and provides delegation and coordination of patient care
- Evaluation: Assesses the effectiveness of intervention and
revises the plan of care as needed.
- Evaluates effectiveness of patient care delivery on an ongoing
- Rounds on staff and patients routinely to identify, assess and
respond to needs of staff or patients.
- Evaluates competence of staff members by direct observation of
patient care delivery.
- Participates or Performs formal and informal performance
evaluations of unit staff at least twice annually. May provide
input on performance of PRN, ASP, Float and agency colleagues.
- Development: Maintains current knowledge, credentials,
certification, and licensure.
- Practices within legal boundaries of nurse practice act and
according to hospital policy and procedures.
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to
address these education needs.
- Attends continuing education programs in order to maintain
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and
licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (CPR, License,
PPD, NIH Stroke Scale, Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.)
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge
acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams councils
- Actively practices the MGH SPIRIT Values and coaches and
intervenes with co-workers as needed. Understands leadership role
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions
with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the
- Knowledge of and participates in achieving MGH Annual Operating
Plan and Goals
- Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties
- Expert background and knowledge of care of unit patient
- Is a resource for staff members uses clinical expertise and
role models SPIRIT Values.
- Multi-tasks and can manage more than one diverse area of
- Interacts with physicians from multi-specialty backgrounds and
is able to act as a buffer between conflicting interests, keeping
the patient as the center of decision making.
- Experience in interacting with physicians from multi-specialty
backgrounds and able to act as a buffer between conflicting
interests keeping the patient as the center of decision
- Uses interpersonal skills and able to effectively interact with
entities outside the hospital. About MedStar Health MedStar Health
is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in
Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the
practice of medicine through education, innovation and research.
Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a
variety of settings across our health system, including 10
hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest
visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected
institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical
education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more
than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next
generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and
professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers
diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MEDSTAR HEALTH, Olney , Hiring Now! RN Charge Nurse, Healthcare , Olney, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!