Behavioral Health Therapist
Company: MEDSTAR HEALTH
Posted on: May 13, 2022
POSITION PURPOSEThe AMHC Therapist will be an independently
licensed professional. This therapist will be a member of a
multidisciplinary team providing service under the direction of the
consulting psychiatrist. The primary responsibilities include
ongoing psychosocial assessment and treatment of clients ages 13
and older. Clients who can benefit from psychopharmacological
agents are referred to a psychiatrist. With input from the team,
the AMHC Therapist will develop, implement and update an
individualized plan of care. The primary treatment modalities are
group (group therapy, skill building and educational groups) and
individual therapy. The therapist will also hold family meetings as
need arises.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Clinical: Provides individual, family and group psychotherapy
services based on an understanding and integration of various
theoretical approaches to human behavior.
- Participates in ensuring a safe and therapeutic
- Supervises and monitors patient activities.
- Assumes case management responsibility for patients.
- Provides case management on an ongoing basis.
- Makes referrals as necessary.
- Facilitates hospitalization and follows patients during stay on
- Tracks insurance authorization and assists in utilization
- Maintains awareness of resources for patient support.
- Documents activities and care.
- Team: Acts as a departmental and hospital resource through
informal leadership and technical expertise
- Coaches and/or mentors other employees.
- Identifies with and encourages team concepts
- Serves as integral member of the interdisciplinary team,
demonstrating an ability to effectively communicate and interact
within the team.
- Participates in the orientation of new staff members, assists
with supervision of students and volunteers as needed.
- Provides AMHC with support for education activities for
- Participates in various community mental health
- Consults, and develops partnerships with outside organizations
and community professionals.
- Development: Maintains current knowledge, certification, and
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to
address these education needs.
- Attends continuing education programs in order to maintain
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and
licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (CPR, License,
PPD, Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.).
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between
- Participates on inter-departmental teams and committees,
communicating unit knowledge as appropriate.
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge
acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams and
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions
with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the
- Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties
- Consistently displays professionalism in interactions with
patients and families, staff and physicians.
- Supports unit by providing coverage when there are shortages.
- Master's Degree in Social Work or related Mental
Health/Additions related field to qualify for LCSW-C or LCPC,
- Master's Degree in Nursing, with Clinical Specialty in
- 3-5 years of Mental Health/Addiction experience
preferredLICENSURE, CERTIFICATION & REGISTRATION:
- Maryland licensure as APRN, LCSW-C, LMSW, LGPC (Licensed
Graduate Professional Counselor), LCPC, RN-CSP or clinical
- CPR CertificationKNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
- Basic Computer skills to perform Data entry
- Computerized clinical information systems: Clinicians View,
- Knowledge of mental illness and chemical dependence and
accepted theories of treatment.
- HIPAA policies on Confidentiality
- Basic knowledge of mental health laws About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care
for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while
advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation
and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians
work in a variety of settings across our health system, including
10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the
largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly
respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the
medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for
more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the
next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education
and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health
offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MEDSTAR HEALTH, Olney , Behavioral Health Therapist, Healthcare , Olney, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!