Hiring Now! Nurse Manager, Operating Room
Company: MEDSTAR HEALTH
Posted on: May 13, 2022
- Job Summary
- This position has 24/7 accountability for the overall
operational of one or more patient care units, including daily
operations, implementation and development of programs and
procedures. Responsible for the performance of unit employees and
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree preferred
- Associate degree may be accepted if previous experience
supports the level of function required by this role
- A minimum of 3 years supervisory experience in a healthcare
- Registered Nurse License
- Preferred certification in area of specialty or nursing
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
- Basic Computer skills to perform data entry and to create
- Computerized clinical information systems: Clinicians View,
- HIPAA policies on Confidentiality
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Administration: Manages operations of all unit activities.
Oversees coordination of patient care across levels of providers.
- Assures departmental processes are utilized when
planning/delivering patient care.
- Regularly rounds on staff and patients, identifies issues and
helps to solve problems, or provides resources for problem
- Assures adequate supplies are available.
- Aides in development, implements and manages new product lines
in accordance with marketing strategies, consistent with patient
and MGH needs.
- Monitors quality of documentation and completion of
- Ensures staff works effectively with care providers both inter
and intra departmentally as well as outside agencies.
- Monitors contract staff and gives input to evaluations.
- Monitors the effective and efficient use of supplies
- Attends meetings or delegates to staff.
- Acts as a unit or departmental resource with regard to
assessment and treatment issues, journey, PI / RM, The Joint
- Assists in evaluating and formulating policies, procedures,
protocols and standards of patient care in area of
- Manages the budget to include salary/non-salary, capital
expenditures, and is accountable for all variances
- May assist in developing and implementing marketing strategies
aligned with MedStar and MGH goals and objectives.
- Timely follow up on SoftMed, quality initiatives and patient
experience survey information.
- Plans for and facilitates staff members to attend competencies
and any other mandatory training.
- Management of Staff: Manages assigned staff.
- Participates and holds staff accountable for journey policy and
- Promotes, recognizes and rewards performance that supports
vision, mission and goals and the standards of behavior.
- Coaches Charge Nurses and other staff on a continuing basis to
maximize staff strengths and individual talents.
- Promotes and ensures team approach among staff
- Assists Director in identifying learning needs of the staff and
developing action plans as indicated.
- Submits completed personnel performance appraisals, evaluations
and other pertinent forms on time.
- Applies personnel policies in a consistent, fair and equitable
manner utilizing progressive discipline as necessary.
- Ensures that a safe and comfortable environment is maintained
for patients, visitors and health care providers.
- Ensures staff compliance with all mandatory licensure,
certifications, training and education, etc.
- Participates in the orientation planning for new employees.
Provides feedback to orientee and preceptor on performance and
assists in developing performance action plan.
- Objectively interprets hospital policy to staff.
- Submits yearly goals and quarterly accomplishments and action
- Participates in interview process and facilitates staff
- Management of Quality Improvement: In collaboration with the
Director assists in providing a uniform level of high quality
- Acts as liaison and collaborates with staff, physicians,
ancillary departments and vendors to provide for quality patient
- Provides service recovery when indicated with patients,
visitors and physicians.
- Oversight for the case management of patients in collaboration
with Resource Management and ancillary departments as related to
- Accepts Charge Nurse role in times of high census or staffing
- Resource for computer based operations including patient care
monitoring systems and MAK applications
- Active participation and implementation of Patient Safety Goals
and other related quality initiatives.
- Uses the nursing process to assess, identify, plan, implement,
and evaluate systems and processes for improvement
- Evaluates and assesses strategies for effectiveness on a
continuous and proactive basis.
- Assures unit specific competencies are maintained.
- Development: Maintains current knowledge, certification, and
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to
address these education needs.
- Attends continuing education programs in order to maintain
certification as indicated.
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the
- Maintains CPR certification and meets all mandatory
- Organizational knowledge: Participates in the development and
attainment hospital goals through the Annual Operating Plan (AOP).
- Participates on inter-departmental teams and committees,
communicating unit knowledge as appropriate
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge
acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams and
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions
with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the
- Department/Unit Specific Performance Standards
- Knowledge in management, and the care of the patients.
- Must have experience developing and maintaining close
collaborative relationships with physicians.
- Experience in development and evaluation of care paths to
reflect the most current recommendations.
- Ability to multi-task and manage more than one diverse area of
- Experience in interacting with physicians from multi-specialty
backgrounds and able to act as a buffer between conflicting
interests keeping the patient as the center of decision
- Good interpersonal skills and able to effectively interact with
entities outside the hospital.
- Proven ability to effectively manage personnel from various
levels of disciplines and various levels of organizational
- Proven ability to interact with people under high stress
situations About MedStar Health MedStar Health is dedicated to
providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the
Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine
through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates
and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings
across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300
community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association
in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to
research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical
partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is
dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but
also to the continuing education and professional development of
our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for
career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Keywords: MEDSTAR HEALTH, Olney , Hiring Now! Nurse Manager, Operating Room, Healthcare , Olney, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!