Administrative Medical Coordinator
Company: MedStar Health
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Responsible for a variety of duties to include administrative
functions, coordinates surgical activities; including posting of
cases, pre'certification of insurance, admissions. Communicates
often with a variety of interdisciplinary departments. Supports
physicians in a clinical role, surgery scheduling procedures and
administrative support. Provides information and support to
patients and families. Skilled at problem solving and customer
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Technical: Supports work of the department by performing
clerical and secretarial tasks.
- Greets and receives patient's calls in a prompt, professional
and courteous manner.
- Answers, screens, and responds to all telephone calls.
- Responsible for coordinating and scheduling all Departmental
surgical cases, revising schedules as required
- Essential to coordinating several surgeons, equipment and
diagnostics procedures for complex cases.
- Arrange for special equipment needed for surgery cases.
- Oversee surgery scheduling to ensure maximum use of OR
- Functions as a liaison to physicians and the department, as
relates to surgery coordination and ensures that patient complaints
and/or problems are addressed promptly and efficiently.
- Collects accurate patient demographics and insurance
- Prints and distributes weekly surgery schedule to appropriate
- Communicate with insurance companies and patients to obtain
required precertification to ensure Department will receive
payments for all services provided.
- Inform patients of pre'operative requirements and provide
necessary orders and instructions to patients, various admitting
departments and PCPs. This ensures efficient preparation of
patients for surgery and assists in decreasing their anxiety.
- Provide good communication with the OR, Pre'Admission Testing,
and Hospital Admissions to minimize risk of delays.
- Provides backup coverage, as necessary.
- Obtains patient information: demographics, insurance
information, and patient allergies and special needs, as well as,
what the Patient needs done before procedure; labs, x-rays, history
and physical, EKG, etc.
Obtains Surgeon information: procedure codes, procedure
equipment, secondary Surgeon or Physician Assistant requests, and
any other special requests.
- Clinical: Performs the clinical duties for the patients, in
accordance with practice standards, following established
- Greets each patient and family member(s) in a courteous
- Screens patients and documents information accurately in
- Escorts patients to treatment rooms and properly instructs
patients and prepares patients with clear instructions for
- Screens patients, including taking vital signs accurately and
documents in accordance with policies.
- Prepares patients for physicians and healthcare providers.
- Assists Physician in office medical procedures.
- Ensures each patient room is prepared for each visit, to
include properly stocked with equipment, chart, and supplies.
- Provides assistance to physicians and medical staff in the
treatment or procedures.
- Educates patient and family member(s) about the visit/procedure
to be performed.
- Performs correct patient identification for accurate labeling,
collection, and processing of laboratory specimens.
- Performs all specimen collection techniques accurately and
according to all SOP's, including verification of correct
collection tubes and/or containers.
- Provides all proper discharge and follow up instructions.
- Adheres to all safety protocols including standard precautions,
transmission-based precautions, and other infection control
Is able to work efficiently and organize work during heavy
workload situations to expedite patient throughput.
- Customer Service: Consistently displays professionalism in
dealings with patients and families, staff, and physicians.
- Greets every customer and coworker with a warm welcome. Smiles,
makes eye contact, and always demonstrates a positive attitude with
all customers and coworkers;
- Always projects a positive image. Follows the dress code and
always wears a nametag in a visible location;
- Always provides prompt and efficient service. Always explaining
any delays and how long it will take to complete a task to patients
- Provides testing order information to physician office
personnel when indicated, referring any problems directly to the
- Applies the proper procedures for processing of different
insurances for entering outpatient orders.
- Maintains current standing orders current and enters them into
appropriate reference laboratory computer system.
- Keeps laboratory requisitions filed and up-to-date by making
every effort to complete the filing generated on his/her shift
Is able to locate and retrieve information from the files as
- Development: Maintains current knowledge and develops new
- Conducts all duties within legal boundaries and according to
hospital policy and procedures.
- Works with supervisor to identify learning needs and takes
actions to address these needs.
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and
licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (License, PPD,
Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.)
Meets all mandatory obligations.
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between
- Participates on inter-departmental teams and committees,
communicating unit knowledge as appropriate.
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge
acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams and
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions
with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the
- Maintains awareness of changes in procedures or protocols.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Associate's Degree preferred, and or equivalent medical office
- Completion of Medical Assistant program is required
- Two years' experience in a medical/clinical office
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION & REGISTRATION:
- Certified as a Medical Assistant required or required within 6
months of hire date from American Association of Medical Assistants
(AAMA) or the National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality
care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while
advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation
and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians
work in a variety of settings across our health system, including
10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the
largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly
respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the
medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for
more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the
next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education
and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health
offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MedStar Health, Olney , Administrative Medical Coordinator, Other , Olney, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!