Ultrasound Technologist PRN
Company: MEDSTAR HEALTH
Posted on: January 10, 2022
POSITION PURPOSEThis is a skilled professional position that
coordinates delivery of healthcare using Ultrasound to assist in
diagnosis or treatment. Work is performed under the general
direction of the Lead Technologist or the Director of M.I.ESSENTIAL
FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Clinical: Operates and documents all aspects of Ultrasound
- Verifies procedure for appropriateness and preparation has been
- Verifies that the patient has consented to then procedure and
fully understands its risks, benefits, alternatives, and follow-up.
When appropriate, verifies that a written or informed consent has
- Provides patient information which includes but limited to; LMP
point of tenderness, symptoms, allergies or other information
pertinent to exam being performed.
- Prepares patient for procedure; providing instruction to obtain
desired results, gain cooperation and minimize anxiety.
- Assumes responsibility for provision of physical and
psychological needs of patients during procedures.
- Practice aseptic techniques as necessary.
- Immobilizes patients as required.
- Positions patient to best demonstrate anatomic area of
interest, respecting patient ability and comfort.
- Selects and operates imaging equipment, and or associated
accessories to successfully perform procedures.
- Monitors patient during procedure.
- Responsible for following established procedures and protocols
and producing accurate results.
- Evaluates images for technical quality, assuring proper
identification and image labeling.
- Initiates basic life support action when necessary.
- Dates, initials and signs archives all required documents.
- Checks and orders supplies as needed.
- Participates in data collection for department's quality
assessment and improvement plan. May be responsible for specific
quality control duties in assigned areas.
- Reports equipment failure/problems in a timely manner to the
- Assists in training and education of employees, physicians,
students and/or other healthcare professionals.
- Provides input for purchase of new equipment and supply
- Provides input for hire or new employee through peer interview
- May be responsible or assist in control of inventory and
purchasing of supplies for assigned area.
- Provides patient education as needed.
- Maintains knowledge of and observes universal precautions.
- Access, manipulate, store and print M.I. digital images.
- Environmental: Maintains a clean, safe, prepared work
- Prepares room for procedure.
- Cleans and sterilizes equipment and procedure table before and
after each procedure.
- Restocks and requests room supplies that need to be
- Checks drug supplies and informs the appropriate person of what
needs to be re-stocked.
- Takes appropriate action in case of fire or other emergency
situations to provide a safe environment for patients, visitors,
- Development: Maintains current knowledge and develops new
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to
address these education needs.
- Attends continuing education programs to maintain
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and
licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (CPR, License,
PPD, Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.)
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between
- Participates on inter-departmental teams and committees,
communicating unit knowledge as appropriate.
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge
acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams and
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions
with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the
- Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties
- Responsible for following all protocols to ensure optimum image
quality. This would include but not limited to, choosing proper
ultrasonic frequencies and appropriate transducers for anatomic
- Transport stable unmonitored ED patients to and from Ultrasound
procedures. Transport stable unmonitored IP as available and needed
- Assist licensed practitioners with Ultrasound guided
- Assist M.I. front desk in answering phones, signing out images
via films or CD, processing paperwork and scheduling procedures as
- Graduate of an Allied Health Education Sonography program or
- New Grad
- 1-2 year in Hospital setting is preferredLICENSURE,
CERTIFICATION & REGISTRATION:
- RDMS required
- CPR CertificationKNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of internal
and external customers
- Experience with RIS/PACS is preferred
- HIPAA policies on ConfidentialityAGE SPECIFIC:
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide the
appropriate care for patients in all age groupsAbout MedStar
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care
for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while
advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation
and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians
work in a variety of settings across our health system, including
10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the
largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly
respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the
medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for
more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the
next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education
and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health
offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MEDSTAR HEALTH, Olney , Ultrasound Technologist PRN, Other , Olney, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!