Registered Nurse - Float Pool
Company: Medstar Research Institute
Posted on: August 4, 2022
18101 Prince Philip Drive
Nursing - Direct Patient Care
Day / Evening Shift with rotating weekend
See Job Summary
A professional care provider who assumes responsibility and
accountability for a group of patients, providing care through the
continued utilization of the nursing process in collaboration with
other health care team members.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Assessment: Collects data in an ongoing and systematic manner,
focusing on the biophysical, psycho social, cognitive, self-care,
educational, environmental and discharge planning needs of the
- Assesses the patient's health care needs on a systematic and
continuous basis according to established time frames.
- Identifies the biophysical, psycho-social, cultural, self-care,
teaching, and continuing care needs of the patient as appropriate
to patient age and diagnoses.
- Collects data in an ongoing and systematic manner as outlined
by departmental protocol.
- Places the emphasis of assessment on the physiologic,
psychological and cognitive status of the patient.
- Reports any abnormal assessments in a timely manner to
- Delegates duties and tasks to others after assessment of
patient needs and capabilities, and determines the scope of
responsibilities with awareness of staff members performance
- Supervises members of assigned team via regular rounds and
verbal interaction to validate work load, patient status and
- Planning: Formulates a goal-directed plan of care, which is
prioritized and based on identified patient care needs.
- Uses department/unit process standards as specified for
planning/delivering patient care; individualizes these, holds self
and co-workers accountable to them. Documents and evaluates care
- Formulates a goal directed plan of care based on
- Establishes priorities of patient care on the basis of
essential patient needs and available unit resources of time,
personnel, equipment and supplies.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient at all items.
- Demonstrates understanding of Advanced Directives.
- Participates in departmental/unit nursing performance
improvement process; quality standards development, data
collection, trending, revisions and education of staff.
- Initiates discharge planning with initial assessment.
- Utilizes effective communication skills to establish positive
working relationship with all health team members, patients, and
- Implementation: Initiates plan of care based on established
priorities, essential needs and available resources.
- Initiates plan of care based on established priorities
essential needs and available resources.
- Explains plan of care to patient and significant others
utilizing ancillary resources when needed.
- Demonstrates ability to respond quickly to patient changes and
- Implements care in a knowledgeable, skillful, consistent,
timely and continuous manner.
- Intervenes on patient's behalf utilizing appropriate
- Supports department/unit by providing coverage for nursing
shortages and increased patient census.
- Identifies/assesses an unstable or emergency condition and
initiates appropriate action.
- Practices effective problem identification and resolution
- Demonstrates appropriate delegation and coordination of tasks
- Administers medications accurately and in accordance with the
Five Rights of Medication Administration.
- Transcribes orders correctly.
- Performs treatments and procedures according to MGH
- Assures documentation is accurate, concise and follows
- Demonstrates responsibility for Patient/Family education.
- Evaluation: Assesses the effectiveness of intervention and
revises the plan of care as needed.
- Evaluates effectiveness of patient interventions on an ongoing
- Rounds on patients routinely to identify and assess needs.
- Reviews specific patient care situations for effectiveness of
departmental team interventions.
- Demonstrates competence required in evaluation skills.
- Development: Maintains current knowledge, certification, and
- Practices within legal boundaries of nurse practice act and
according to hospital policy and procedures.
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to
address these education needs.
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the
- Updates clinical skills as required by department/unit policy
and patient needs.
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and
licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (CPR, License,
PPD, NIH Stroke Scale, Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.)
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between
- Participates on inter-departmental teams, committees, councils
and communicates department/unit knowledge as appropriate.
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge
acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams,
committees and councils.
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions
with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the
- Displays professionalism in interactions with patients,
families, staff and physicians/mid-level providers.
- Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties
* Operating Room:
- Knowledge of critical care including EKG.
- Assists with in room preoperative and intra-operative
preparation of patients, and assists with set up of the surgical
suite before, during and after a surgical procedure.
- Ability to circulate a procedure.
- Follows appropriate hand washing and sterilization techniques
at all times.
- Assists in preparing equipment and surgical table for
- Moves patient from stretcher to surgical table and back with
- Prepares and helps with patient positioning.
- Assists with the cleaning and sterilization of Operating Room
for case turnover.
- Helps pull case carts for the following day and returns all
sterile equipment to its appropriate location.
- Graduate of accredited School of Nursing
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing, Required
- Associates Degree will be considered for hard to fill positions
with the requirement to obtain a BSN within a specific time
- 1-2 year in Hospital setting preferred
- New Nursing Graduate for Nurse Residency Program Only
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION & REGISTRATION:
- Maryland Nursing License
- CPR (BLS) Certification
- Prefer certification in nursing specialty
Keywords: Medstar Research Institute, Olney , Registered Nurse - Float Pool, Other , Olney, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!