House Administrator PRN - Relocation Offered!
Company: MEDSTAR HEALTH
Posted on: September 19, 2022
POSITION PURPOSEA registered nurse who assumes responsibility
and accountability to manage the hospital during evenings, nights
and week-ends or in the absence of Nursing Administration and/or
Hospital Administration. Acts as the representative of
Administration. Consults and reports to AOC as needed. ESSENTIAL
FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Administration: Assumes administrative responsibility for
hospital to ensure that patients are receiving quality care and
that staff have the supports they need to do their job.
- Make rounds on all nursing units to assess level of patient
care and staffing needs, adjusting as necessary and planning for
next shift by patient acuity and expected discharges and
- Leads bed board on off shift.
- Represents administration in their absence.
- Shares communication, with appropriate departments, of unusual
incidents or problems and assists investigations as requested.
- Keeps the Director of Nursing informed of issues.
- Interprets and informs staff of hospital policies and
procedures. Advises administration of the effectiveness of hospital
- Grants administrative approval to treat minors in ED according
to hospital policy.
- Obtains administrative approval for temporary privileges for
physicians.Investigates complaints from patients, physicians,
nursing staff or other departments. Completes appropriate softmed
and notifies risk management of issues.
- Intervenes and completes follow-up of any unusual occurrence or
- Receives all press calls in absence of public relations and
releases information according to hospital policy.In absence of
Employee Health Nurse, refers staff appropriately for job-related
sickness or injury and assures documentation of
incident.Collaborates with Unit managers, patient placement and
other leaders regarding patient, staff or physician concerns and
- Communication: Communicates in an effective and accurate
- Consistently communicates information to department
- Completes appropriate reports during shift.
- Utilizes chain of command.
- Establishes guidelines for calling senior leaders.
- Follows progressive disciplinary process for issues occurring
on off shifts.
- Follows up on all employee issues with manager.
- Utilizes team approach to problem solving. Works in
collaboration with unit charge nurses.
- Completes softmed on any patient complaints or PI/RM
- Emergency Management: Provides appropriate leadership role in
all emergency situations.
- Effectively evaluates situations and responds in a timely
manner to meet needs of the department.
- Responds to Codes, facilitates patient movement and family
issues related to code; is the coordinator not the recorder.
- Completes necessary training re: disaster, mass casualty
according to organizational plan.
- Responds to calls from staff; assesses unstable or emergency
situations and initiates appropriate action.
- Finds resources as necessary to facilitate patient care.
- Coordinates disaster and fire plans in absence of
- Functions as incident command until AOC arrives.
- Coordinates special patient/family needs.
- Coordination: Oversees that equipment and supply needs are
being met throughout the hospital.
- Makes cost containment and/or process improvement
- Obtains supplies, as needed by staff, from CSR, Purchasing and
- Obtains/Loans supplies and equipment from/to other agencies as
- Obtains medical records, on request of physician, when Medical
Records is closed.
- Arranges for emergency surgery when OR is closed.
- Follows up resource issues with department leaders.
- Staff Development: Participates in the development and
attainment of Division of Nursing and hospital goals.
- Participates in journey policy and process (i.e., rounding,
discharge phone calls, Press Ganey, etc).
- Evaluates performance of night shift, off shift staff, which
could include float secretary, resource nurses, transporters and
- Provides feedback for PRN nurses or other PRN staff.
- Identifies learning needs in staff and initiates action with
- Development: Maintains current knowledge, certification, and
- Practices within legal boundaries of nurse practice act and
according to hospital policy and procedures.
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to
address these education needs.
- Attends continuing education programs in order to maintain
licensure. Obtains at least five contact hours per year in your
area of practice.
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and
licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (CPR, License,
PPD, Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.).
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between
- Participates on inter-departmental teams and committees,
communicating unit knowledge as appropriate.
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge
acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams and
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions
with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the
- Graduate of accredited School of Nursing
- Bachelors degree preferred.Certification:
- Maryland Nursing License
- CPR Certification Required Knowledge:
- Ability to communicate with all levels of internal and external
- Moderate Computer skills for data entry.
- Experience with Microsoft Office: Word and Excel
- HIPAA policies on Confidentiality.Experience Required:
- 3-5 year of experience to include minimum 3 years of leadership
- No Direct patient care contact.About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care
for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while
advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation
and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians
work in a variety of settings across our health system, including
10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the
largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly
respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the
medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for
more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the
next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education
and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health
offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MEDSTAR HEALTH, Olney , House Administrator PRN - Relocation Offered!, Other , Olney, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!